Basketball Shooting Competition
H-A-W-K-S is a head-to-head, live streamed, virtual basketball shooting competition. Two players will use the live stream app called Zoom, to play a virtual game against each other.
The game consists of two players on their own respective basketball court. Competitors take turns attempting shots from various locations on the basketball court. The opposing player must duplicate the same shot. If the opposing player misses the shot, the first player is awarded a letter. The first person to spell the word H-A-W-K-S wins the game.
Each participant must have access to the following items in order to compete in the tournament:
- A basketball
- Access to a basketball net (Driveway, Park, Street Court)
- Ability to use a hand held video device with access to the internet
- Ability to log into the Live Video app “Zoom”
- Ability to have someone from your household to video you playing the game
Please Note: Data charges may apply when streaming zoom if you are participating outside of your household’s WIFI area.
Rules of the Competition
- July 6th-13th: Registration Open
- July 15th: Participants to recieve the final tournament bracket
- July 21st-23rd: Competition will take place between 11am- 2pm each day
Game times each day: (EST) 11:00am, 11:45am, 12:30pm, 1:15pm
Each game will consist of the following:
- 5 min: Technology/ camera check, Introductions, Review of Rules, Coin Flip
- 25 min: Head to Head Competition
- 5 min: Overtime if required
- 5 min: Announcement of winner, Virtual High Fives
During the tournament, you will be scheduled to play four (4) games. The four games will take place over a three day period, July 21-23, 2020. After each game, you will be placed in a new competition bracket. The tournament will end with four brackets and each bracket will have a gold, silver, and bronze finalist. You will have the opportunity to play someone new for each game, so it will give you the opportunity to meet new athletes and play some friendly competition. The most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN!
- Co-ed event
- two athletes per community (unless event does not hit maximum capacity)
- Coin flip to determine the starting player
- Referee will keep track of score/baskets
- Each player must designate the dominant hand that they will be shooting with.
- Players alternate turns to set the shot
- No dunking
- You have to call a shot if you want it to go in a certain way ie off the backboard. Otherwise, it’s an open shot
- Please explain your shot before you shoot.
- Please mute your device while not shooting.
- First player to achieve all letters H-A-W-K-S wins
- Max game time is 25 minutes – player with the most letters wins.
- If there is a tie at the end of regulation time, there will be a 5-minute sudden death overtime where the referee will call up to 5 shots. Once one player misses a shot that the other completes, the game is over
- If technology loses signal or player gets logged out of zoom, a 2-minute grace period will be given. If player does not rejoin, they forfeit and other player wins
Sudden Death Overtime Shot Options
The referee will provide shot options for each player to attempt. Those shot options can include:
- A non-dominant hand layup
- Short shot
- Medium shot
- Long shot
- Trick shot
Once a player has scored and the other player failed to do so, the games is deemed over.